Tuesday, May 4, 2010

NEW BLOG, NEW JERSEY

Princeton, NJ  66*
5AM wakeup call

In the middle of a 6 day swing from Philly to NJ, NY, BOS and Chi.  I'm not sleeping well on this trip.  I caught some kind of a bug on the plane home from Puerto Rico and it's been with me for over a week.  I'm definately on the better side of it but it's been a nasty sinus and cough thing.  Last night I got on the treadmill for the first time in 10 days.

I'm very troubled by the oil disaster in the Gulf.  This thing is far worse than most realize.
When I was in Philadelphia on Sunday night there were 5 seperate overnight shootings.
Someone tried to detonate a car bomb in time square.
These are some lovely times we live in, no?

On the far side of the world, 16 year old circumnavigator Abby Sunderland has to interrupt her quest to become the youngest sailor to ever circle the world solo.  Her autopilot has gone down and the backup unit is now malfunctioning.  You can't sail solo, nonstop, without an autopilot.  She is due to pull into Cape Town Africa this week.  She plans on continuing her journey, sans the nonstop portion of the record.  That little feat will be claimed this month by Australia's Jessica Watson, another 16 year old.

At home, I found a mobile mechanic who is supposed to remove my leaky power steering arm today.  I hope to finally have the boat water ready by Memorial Day weekend.  I wouldn't have time to get out before then, even if the boat were ready.  I booked a flight for my son, Billy, to come for three weeks this summer.  I will take some vacation time to spend some quality time with him.

I'm current reading a book called "The Ship and The Storm."  It's the true story of a Windjammer Cruise ship that was lost in 1998's Category 5 Hurricane Mitch, off the coast of Honduras.

No comments: