Saturday, March 14, 2009

1 DAY 'TILL THE BAY TO BAY


click to enlarge and see the race route, from Bay to Bay
the white circle above I-175 is the Rays baseball stadium, Tropicana Field
Home in Port Charlotte
Low 61, High 81
I can't recall being so relieved to see a weekend in some time. I've been so busy since the day I left for DC, I never had a chance to recover until now. I slept in until 7AM and got up to walk the yard to inspect the grass coming in nicely. My daughter, Stephanie (16) is arriving on a flight today from Phoenix and she will spend spring break with us for a week. We are looking forward to hosting her, as we haven't seen her since September.
Tomorrow I will run in the Bay to Bay 12K in St. Petersburg. Kathy and I will drive to St. Pete this afternoon, pick up my race packet, check into the Hilton Bayfront, get some dinner, then drive 30 minutes to Tampa to pick up Stephy at 9:20PM. Sunday we will get up early, enjoy breakfast at the hotel at 6AM and head to the finish line. We'll park the truck and I'll take a shuttle to the start line, while the girls enjoy the sights of the pier and wait for me to finish. There's a post race party on the pier and it should be a great time for all of us.
The above photograph shows the race route, in the white line with red dots, from the west end of the St. Pete peninsula, running due east for 90% of the race. The last bit goes north and then east to the pier for a total of 7.46 miles. This will mark a new personal best for me. I finished my 10K in January in 1:14:06, with an average pace of 11:56 per mile. My goal is to beat that average pace, finishing the distance in less than 90 minutes. Wish me luck! If you want to see the race results as soon as they post them, go to www.runbaytobay.com
Kathy and Stephy will take pictures to share the day, so check back on Sunday night.

No comments: