Wednesday, July 27, 2011

DAWNING OF DON

Home in Port Charlotte
High of 93

I just returned from a quick 2 day trip to Miami and Homestead.  That tropical system I wrote about last Friday is still together.  It dropped heavy showers on Puerto Rico, the DR/Haiti and Cuba.  As it passed the mountains of Cuba it took a beating and weakened significantly but overnight it has reorganized with a well defined mass, as seen in the 70% photo below.  70% also represents the chance this becomes a named storm in the next 48 hours.  I knew I had a feeling about this wave.

The system is well west of Florida and poses no threat to us.  It is located about 125 miles east of Cancun, Mexico and moving west/northwest at about 15 MPH.  I don't know for sure, but I would imagine a hurricane hunter will fly through and take a reading on the center today.  The next name on the list is Don.
Click on photos for full screen.

8AM update:  The NWS has increased the liklihood of this becoming a named storm in the next 48 hours to 80%.  A hurricane hunter WILL investigate the system for a defined center of rotation later today.

No comments: