Friday, October 30, 2009

PUERTO RICO DAY 3: THE CASTAWAY




San Juan Intern'l Airport
80*
.
Day three flew by just like the previous. With a 4AM wake up call and leaving for work at 5:15, I was gone from the hotel before the sun had a chance to greet me. We arrived back after 7, missing the sunset. Dawn turning to dusk are the best pictures I could come up with since day 1.
.
The workdays were long but the work was enjoyable. This is our company's maiden voyage into Puerto Rico and we hired 8 guys to help a transferred manager open our new branch. Jose, the account manager, is from PR and came to our company 4 years ago as a college intern from the University of San Juan to our Miami branch. He now gets to transfer home with the opportunity to grow a branch of his own someday. The new employees were extremely pleasant people and after my two days of company and safety orientation, they were all excited and grateful at the opportunity to come to work for the best!
.
I spent the evening getting to know David, the branch manager, better. I have worked with him sporadically over the last 2 years as I service his Miami branch but we have never spent more than a few hours together before this trip. We spent much of the 3 days here together, training the new hires and dining with our clients. I found him to be a very interesting and fun personality. David is also from PR, originally, but left for Miami 23 years ago. We both continued working in our respective hotel rooms from 7-930 last night until we finally went to a late dinner together, which was really just appetisers and drinks; mostly drinks. We are planning to bring our wives over here next time, with a trip that will extend to the weekend. We spoke of work and the opportunity Jose has to grow professionally and financially here. At only 28, he could have the world by the tail. It won't be easy for him. He is operating out of his truck, with no local administrative support and all new hire employees. David asked me to keep in close contact with Jose so that he "doesn't feel like he's on an island." We both shouted back at each other, "Even though he is!" We laughed so hard it hurt.
.
Going to bed after midnight made the 4AM wakeup call hurt even more. I was at the airport by 5 for my 7:00 flight but even security didn't open until 5:30. After touchdown in Miami I will make the 3 hour drive home to my honey. Next week I work Monday in Venice and Tuesday in Bradenton. After that, it's a much earned weeklong vacation with friends from Arizona visiting us for the first time.

No comments: