Sunday, February 8, 2009

ROCK IN THE PARADISE

Home in Port Charlotte
High of 79*
CLICK ON PICTURES FOR FULL SCREEN
After years of hurricane tidal surge, our shoreline needed shoring up

We purchased and moved 2 cubic yards of rip-rap; about 4000 lbs


Needing to start from the bottom up required me to get in the canal at low tide

Once the base was built I was able to toss some in place from our neighbor's high dollar concrete seawall. A few rolled back down to the canal so I got to test my new wall by climbing down it into the canal. I'm happy to report it didn't avalanche under my newly fit body.


See the dock in the foreground? Last year's Hurricane Gustav brought a tidal surge that submurged our dock. We have to complete this project before 2009 Hurricane Season.


Our newly shored up sea wall.
The next step will be to haul in a couple of tons of replacement sand.
The path you are looking at leads from our dock to Rolando's next door.
We will still have to move a few tons more to other areas, pictured below.












No comments: