Saturday, August 30, 2008

Recalling the fleet


I debated even posting more information about Gustav, because I'm sure you all know about him by now. As I write this, Gustav is a Category 4 with sustained winds of 150 MPH. It is predicted to achieve Cat 5 (156+) status by tomorrow. As you can see above, 27L and 28L are still alive.

Here in Port Charlotte, we are receiving periodic downpours from Gustav's outer bands. We don't expect any real wind danger here, given the current projected path of the hurricane, however there is a small craft advisory issued for Monday and this will cancel my fishing trip. They are calling for the seas to have a heavy chop, with 6-8 foot waves possible in the Gulf. Bottom line; the fish will be safe, as we have recalled the fleet.

We continue to keep our eyes on Hanna, because she is forecast to take some sort of a boomerang track, giving her a chance to get into the Gulf. If that happens, all bets are off.

I don't think I have mentioned on here, one of my hobbies is playing fantasy football online. My two sons, two of Kathy's brothers, Kathy's daughter and a variety of our friends make up our league. This is my 6th year playing. It works like this: Fantasy owners hold a player draft, each real player can only be chosen once in our league, nfl.com keeps track of the real player's stats in the games every week and gives fantasy owners points based on the real performance. Each week, fantasy owners compete head to head with one other owner. The four best fantasy teams face each other in the playoffs and one is crowned fantasy champion. The champ even gets a certificate from the NFL. It's only for bragging rights, but it is a lot of fun. We had the fantasy draft today and I look forward to the season. Fantasy football is a hobby, but NFL football is a passion to me.

My 30 year old nephew, Chris, lost 55 pounds this year. He and I share body types, so I am having him mentor me in how I can lose 75 pounds. I will update my progress on here. It's not a diet or some crazy plan. The formula is simple; cut down on portions, do regular exercise. I started aerobic walking. I did 1.7 miles Thursday and again on Friday. My goal will be to do it 6 days a week. I'm already being challenged because my rib injury from last week has gotten worse but I've gotten a good start on this new plan. I have increased my water intake dramatically and that's a really good thing.

Storms are back; lots of thunder and lightening.

No comments: