Saturday, December 13, 2008

RUN IN THE SUN

Home in PC
52 at wakeup; high of 70

After spending Wednesday night, Thursday and Friday in Stuart (Atlantic coast) I returned home Friday night to the comforts of my own bed.

I awoke Saturday to a crisp and cool morning. At 9 AM I headed out for the last run of week 7. I had felt some shin splints after Wednesday's run, so I spent nearly an hour stretching this morning. I headed out to the thin morning air and felt good. After my 5 minute warm-up walk it was time for my 28 minute run. The sun felt so good on my face, I quickly forgot about the chill. At the half way mark, I knew I was on a good pace because I was a full block past where I was at the same point on Wednesday. Entering the final minute of the run I had a smile, as I had already passed my previous personal best for distance. In the end I was about 2 blocks further than the end of my last run. I later measured it with my truck odometer and found that my actual distance run was only 2.3 miles. I had hoped to have it be closer to 2.7. But that gives me more room for improvement.

Starting Monday, it's week 9 of Couch to 5k. That's the final week. I will be running for a full thirty minutes. I won't achieve the entire 3.1 miles in those 30 minutes but I'm going to give it my all. After next week is done I will continue 30 minute runs three times each week but will begin working on my speed so as to try and cover the 3.1 miles (5k) in a half hour. When I am able to do that, I will add a tenth of a mile every week and start running for distance. January 17 is the St. Pete Beach 5k classic. I should be prepared to make that my first real 5k event! It's not like I'm trying to win a race, just complete it without walking. That will be my victory.

DAD UPDATE:
Dad made it home in 6 days! Talk about a race. He went through tons of rain in Louisiana and a snow storm in Houston but he is now comfortably home in the beautiful confines of Strawberry, Arizona.

No comments: