Saturday, March 15, 2008






I slept with the sliding glass door open all night. The overnight low was 55 and I slept to the sound of the rolling surf. What a way to relax after a physically draining week on the road. These pictures don't even do the true beauty of the Atlantic sunrise justice. The sun was oooh, soooo red as it rose.

I checked out of the hotel at 9AM and asked a street cop where the best breakfast in town was. He sent me to Mary's Restaurant at 17th Street and Virginia Beach Boulevard. It was crowded but I got a booth right away. Chicken fried steak and eggs (big shock, huh). Yummeeeee. The drive to Norfolk International was 20 minutes. I am looking forward to going home to the Gulf.

As I pulled into the airport rental car return, Sirius 70's was playing John Denver's Rocky Mountain High. I have heard it a thousand times before but today I was moved by the opening lyrics:

"He was born in the summer of his 27th year, coming home to a place he'd never been before."

That was me, touching down in Florida, December 3, 2007. Coming home to a place I'd never been before. Wow......I love music.

No comments: