5:30 PM Update:
The trip was a bust. The weather was perfect, the seas were calm, the water was smooth as glass. About 11 AM the boat started overheating for unknown reasons. I monitor the thermostat and saw it pretty quick. I shut down the motor, tried to troubleshoot the problem but couldn't find an easy answer. Luckily, when we bought the boat we also bought a Sea Tow policy for $149. We were nearly 20 miles out when we stopped, so the tow took 3 hours. If we didn't have the Sea Tow membership the bill would have been $900. We got towed to a marine repair shop on the water, less than a 1o minute drive from home. Now we await the bill for that. Did I mention it would have been a beautiful day?
Heading for the water
Overnight low, 68, high of 85
We're launching the boat at 9 AM, est. The tides will necessitate being out until about 630PM. Kathy will drive her car to Fisherman's Village, about 10 miles away, and I will pick her up there. That way, if she doesn't want to stay out for the whole day she doesn't have to.
I spent yesterday cleaning up the boat, charging the batteries and running the motor for about 45 minutes. All systems are go. It's been too long and I'm excited to launch. The seas are going to be less than 2 foot this morning, going 2-3 foot in the afternoon.
The fishing reports have Tarpon up to 100 pounds still active in Charlotte Harbor but I'd like to target the Spanish Mackeral along the beaches from Boca Grande to Englewood. Reports are good for trolling. For the first time, I'm going to try to catch my own bait fish as opposed to buying them at the bait shop. If that doesn't work, I'll be trolling with spoons or plugs. (lures)