Monday, October 13, 2008

Three times around the block




Home but ready to roll

I'm leaving today for an east coast road trip. I have been continuing my workout program and am presently doing three times around my block at home, five days per week. The thing is...once around is 1.7 miles, so three times around is 5.1 miles per day! I'm walking about 18 minute miles and the whole thing is taking about 90 minutes. I'm trying to stay off the scale until the end of October. I copied a bunch of inspiring music to my mp3 player to keep my workout motivation going strong.

I had a beer last night (a rare occasion for me now) to celebrate the Arizona Cardinals victory over the Dallas Cowgirls; 30-24. It is likely the two teams will meet again in the NFC playoffs in January. That is, IF Dallas can make the playoffs. The last time the Cardinals made the playoffs was in 1998 and they went into Dallas and beat them handily. The Cardinals haven't been back to the playoffs since then but Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since then, either.

The weather in the tropics has gotten suddenly interesting. Tropical Storm Nana lit up and died out in about 24 hours. There are three other systems trying to get named, about 2500 miles away from Florida. I don't expect to have to break out the window boards again this season though. Just as I type this, it begins downpouring rain like you wouldn't believe.

I have trips planned to Phoenix, Vegas and back to Phoenix for the first week of November. All are business related and time will be at a premium.

PLANT OF THE WEEK:
The above Bromeliad is in our backyard, next to a birdbath. By the way, there is a Cardinal that visits that birdbath on a regular basis.

Bromeliads are members of a plant family known as Bromeliaceae (bro-meh-lee-AH-say-eye). The family contains over 3000 described species in approximately 56 genera. The most well known bromeliad is the pineapple. The family contains a wide range of plants including some very un-pineapple like members such as Spanish Moss (which is neither Spanish nor a moss). Other members resemble aloes or yuccas while still others look like green, leafy grasses.
In general they are inexpensive, easy to grow, require very little care, and reward the grower with brilliant, long lasting blooms and ornamental foliage. They come in a wide range of sizes from tiny miniatures to giants. They can be grown indoors in cooler climates and can also be used outdoors where temperatures stay above freezing.
(borrowed from http://www.bsi.org/brom_info/what.html )

No comments: