Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Ring










Home in Port Charlotte, 88 degrees at sunset

I just got home from a 3 day business trip to the Atlantic coast. It takes 2.5 - 3 hours to cross the peninsula. On my way back here, something happened over there, so I will wake up and drive right back over there tomorrow. The Florida wild fires continue, although an arrest was made today. I drove through a great deal of smoke from the fire burning on the western shore of Lake Okeechobee.

My bride took some pictures of the new boat, resting safely, on our boat lift in the backyard.
Kathy has decided she is ready to set out this weekend for an afternoon of cruising. We will invite the new (parttime) next door neighbors to join us.

The other day Kathy was working the farm, er...uh..., I mean doing some gardening in our big yard. She noticed something shiny in the soil and thought it might have been a key ring. When she picked it up she realized it looked like a man's wedding band. It bore an inscription inside reading, "CMH to ESS 12-30-61". I knew our seller's were Ceceilia and Ed, with a last name beginning with S, but I didn't think they could be old enough to have been married for nearly 47 years. I called Ceil and asked her if their anniversary might be December 30. She answered, yes, why? It turns out Ed had lost 40 pounds last year and then he lost his wedding band. They always thought it had been lost in Vermont. They were thrilled to know we were sending it back to them. A lost symbol of love, returned to it's rightful place. May it be proudly worn for another 47 years.

No comments: