Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Plant of the week: Bismarck Palm



Hilton Garden Inn

Port St. Lucie, FL

I didn't sleep very well last night. Got less than 5 hours. Hopefully tonight is better. I'm in a very nice hotel. The nice thing about all this travel is the VIP rewards programs usually upgrade me to a suite. That was the case today and I will be here for 2 days. This room has a seperate living room and bedroom, with 2 bathrooms. I might just use them both cuz they're there.

Work was uneventful. Inspected 4 job sites, no problems found. This is good cuz last time I was here they got a yellow flag.

I worked out tonight, walk1.7, ran 1.5, walked .2 for a total of 3.4 miles in 57 minutes. According to the treadmill I burned 611 calories. For dinner I'm ordering room service; grilled mahi mahi, yellow rice and grilled asparagus.

With the exception of last Thursday at our Lake Pleasant reunion party, I haven't drank beer since August 27. Once I get my weight in check, I can switch back to Mich Ultra but right now it's best to stay off those empty calories. I am drinking an average of 64 ounces of water a day.

I thought I might start sharing some pictures of the tropical plant varieties we have in our yard at home. Most of you probably haven't seen these species before. Tonight's feature is the Bismarck Palm. It is native to Madagascar. It will grow to 25-50 tall at full maturity. It is known for its strikingly beautiful blue/gray palm leafs. Even as a young tree, the leafs average 4' in length. They are slow growers and are thornless. The one pictured above is in our front yard.

No comments: